Re: [Gems-users] Protocol with Directory Cache

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:02:11 -0600
From: Alaa Alameldeen <alaa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Protocol with Directory Cache
It looks like you need Chip.h to know about the dircache definition you created in SLICC. To do so, you need to add the m_Directory_dircache_vec definition to ruby/slicc_interface/AbstractChip.h, similar to the way vectors for the L1I, L1D and L2 caches were defined.

-Alaa

adgg1@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
The main problem I have is that:

I modified MOESI_SMP_directory.sm and I added:

external_type(CacheMemory) {....}

CacheMemory dircache,.....

When compiling I get:

generated/MOESI_SMP_dircache/Chip.C: In constructor 'Chip::Chip(NodeID, Network*)':
generated/MOESI_SMP_dircache/Chip.C:176: error: 'm_Directory_dircache_vec' was
not declared in this scope

And in fact, there is no 'm_Directory_dircache_vec' in Chip.h, altought it's
declared in .sm file
Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you so much

It depends on where the real directroy controller is in your system.

You

can easily take an existing directory controller and add a cache to it.
You can change the getState() function in the Directory controller to
return a different state if the directory entry is cached.  Actions
triggered by events to these cached states will use a lower latency.
However this approach isn't "on chip" unless your directory/memory
controller is on-chip as well.

--Mike

That's what I'm trying to do. But I'm getting problems.
Can I use the CacheMemory type to model directory cache, or do I have to

code my

own cache type?

Yes, you can use CacheMemory to model any finite-sized cache of any Tag
structure (Entry) you define.  However I believe CacheMemory uses the
BLOCK_SIZE parameter for calculating the index, and this may not work for
you.  Hence you might simply want to copy CacheMemory.h to your own file
and make modifications where appropriate (like mapping to the index)

--Mike