Re: [Gems-users] How to automatically report stat at the end of an application?

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:18:20 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] How to automatically report stat at the end of an application?

> I want to report the parallel execution time of a splash2 benchmark. The
> default working set is quite small, which only takes a couple seconds on the
> simics. In the quickstart step 10, I was told to "Press Control-C to
> interrupt the simulation" before dumping any statistics. But, is there a way
> to let gems automatically report stat at the end of an application?

You can tell Simics to execute for some number of instructions, but this
won't precisely interrupt the simulation at the end.

You will need to insert a "magic breakpoint" into your benchmark.  This is
a dummy instruction that interrupts Simics and will invoke a callback
registered.  If you look at $GEMS_ROOT/gen-scripts/mfacet.py, you will see
the script we use to control simulations.  You will see the magic
breakpoint registration and the logic to dump stats when the simulation is
done.

To insert such a breakpoint into your benchmark, please see the Simics
documentation.

> Another question is how I can reset the statistic at the beginning of the
> parallel section?

ruby0.clear-stats