[Gems-users] Question about warm application in Simics

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:05:58 -0500
From: Liping Xue <lxue@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Question about warm application in Simics
Hi, I have a question about warm application in Simics.
In the ISCA tutorial about gems, they use "Barnes" as a example.
It said that to warm up application in Simics, in the console window, using
*./BARNES < input-warm*
After this, write checkpoint "barnes-cold-16p.check"
and they use the second run to warm up cache:
the command is:
*./BARNES < input-run >output; magic_call break

*I have several questions about the above procedure:
1. What is the difference between parameter "input-warm" and "input-run"? Can I use a small size of "input-warm" and a big size of "input-output"? 2. What is the meaning of "magic_call break", I typed it in the console window, but it says that "command not found". 3. What's the purpose of "warm-checkpoint"? How to get a "warm-checkpoint"? (I know in the slides it give the example to use the "go.simics" script, but when I use it, it gives me so many errors).

Thanks

-- Liping