Re: [Gems-users] Could Opal simulate MIPS?

Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 09:03:35 -0600
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Could Opal simulate MIPS?
Hongxia,

Opal is extremely tied to the SPARC ISA. Opal's *structure* models that of an R10k, but it implements SPARCv9+USIII as its ISA. Poriting Opal to another ISA would be extremely complicated and take quite some time.

GEMS cannot model a CMP system with MIPS processors without modification.

Ruby has been ported in the past to x86-based machines (see the x86 patch for lists of modified files). Most of the modifications are due to minor differences in the interface that Simics allows for different machine targets.

As far as interfacing Ruby to another simulator, you are welcome to try. I recommend you familiarize yourself with the Ruby codebase before undertaking the project, as we won't/can't support that kind of work directly via gems-users -- too many worms in that can. In principle, it can be done. I would encourage you to have a look (figure out) at how Ruby is built and linked with its tester -- that will help you to understand Ruby's structure.

Regards,
Dan Gibson

hongxia sun wrote:
Dear all,

We want to use Simics+Ruby+Opal to simulate a CMP system constructed by MIPS R10000 processors. However, we saw that Opal implements SPARC instruction set although it models after MIPS R10000. Further more, we find in Simics document that Simics only support Malta (MIPS 4kc) which looks like a embedded system. Does that mean Simics cannot simulate a CMP system with MIPS processors? Is it the reason why GEMS models Opal after MIPS R10000 but support SPARC instruction set?

Another question: If we have a MIPS simulator, could we migrate Ruby to interface with our simulator and use our simulator sending memory transitions to Ruby such as Simics does?

Any reply will be very appreciative!

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Hongxia SUN