Re: [Gems-users] CPU accesses to L2 cache

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 10:55:45 -0600
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] CPU accesses to L2 cache
Barnes I'm unsure of -- I don't recall the barnes algorithm and data structure well enough. Have a look at the code and see how much memory it allocates.

Ocean is simpler... recall that the data structure for ocean is an (N+2)x(N+2) matrix. I don't recall the size of the elements (either 4 or 8 bytes, I'll assume 8 for this calculation). I also don't recall if Ocean uses a shadow of its data or updates the data in-place (I'll assume a shadow).

Size of ocean working set ~=
Matrix Size * sizeof(matrix element) * Number of Matrices + ~ small number of stack vars
66x66 x 8 bytes x 2 matrices + noise
~= 69,696 bytes total ...
divide that by, say, four L1 data caches (as Ocean is essentially embarrassingly parallel, has great spatial and temporal locality, and very little sharing):
~= 17,424 bytes per cache...

Thus, after the caches are warm, I'd expect to see only a few coherence misses.

Regards,
Dan Gibson

Daniele Bordes wrote:
Thank you very much for your quick reply, Dan. I have a question: how
can I determine the working set dimension of Ocean and Barnes varying
input parameters (that is, for instance, grid dimension for Ocean and
particles number for Barnes)?

Sorry to be a nuisance.
Thank you very much.