[Gems-users] cache request round-trip latency

Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 14:47:29 -0500 (CDT)
From: Yuho Jin <yuho@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] cache request round-trip latency
Hello,

I'm looking for hit/miss round-trip latency calculation
for MSI_MOSI_CMP_directory protocol in ruby.
After a cache request is generated from Sequencer,
and looks up L1 cache, L2 cache, or memory through a network,
it's very hard to keep track of one cache request.

So, this is what I'm trying to do in ruby codes.
First, I'll try to insert start timestamp (clock) into one global table
for each request in Sequencer::makeRequest().
Whenever h (load completed) or hh (store completed) actions
happen in L1 cache, I can find the booked entry, measure the current
clock, and finally compute its latency as a difference.

Does this make me figure out the round-trip time in the memory
hierarchy?

Also is there any way to break down the round-trip latency for different
components?

Thank you,
Yuho