[Gems-users] fastpath option in Ruby

Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 04:33:38 -0400
From: "salil pant" <floydian27@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] fastpath option in Ruby
Hi, I noticed that turning fastpath on for RUBY with FFT , actually
increases execution time for my experiments.
Time without fast path - 2762532
Time with fast path on - 3419833
I am not able to figure out the reason for this.
I am using the MOSI_SMP_bcast config with TSO. with 4 processors.
There is some latency for accessing L1s during hits which the fastpath
gets rid of.
I notice no difference in the statistics output by ruby except a
slight difference in the number of L1 Dcache misses.
Misses without Fastpath - 4392
Misses with fastpath  - 4666
Although average miss latencies are still very similar
I dont know if the increased misses can be a reason for this
performance difference ?
I cant think of a scenario where misses would increase because of the
fastpath option.
 Any ideas ? or is something wrong with my setup ?

salil