Re: [Gems-users] fastpath option in Ruby

Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 07:31:48 -0500
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] fastpath option in Ruby
Did you issue
instruction-fetch-mode instruction-fetch-trace
istc-disable
dstc-disable
cpu-switch-time 1

to Simics before loading Ruby?

Also, the TSO flag hasn't been used by us for some time... it may not be working properly. Does the same thing happen with TSO off?

Regards,
Dan

salil pant wrote:
Hi, I noticed that turning fastpath on for RUBY with FFT , actually
increases execution time for my experiments.
Time without fast path - 2762532
Time with fast path on - 3419833
I am not able to figure out the reason for this.
I am using the MOSI_SMP_bcast config with TSO. with 4 processors.
There is some latency for accessing L1s during hits which the fastpath
gets rid of.
I notice no difference in the statistics output by ruby except a
slight difference in the number of L1 Dcache misses.
Misses without Fastpath - 4392
Misses with fastpath  - 4666
Although average miss latencies are still very similar
I dont know if the increased misses can be a reason for this
performance difference ?
I cant think of a scenario where misses would increase because of the
fastpath option.
 Any ideas ? or is something wrong with my setup ?

salil