[Gems-users] Memory consumption by Ruby

Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:20:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Shantanu Gupta <shangupt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Memory consumption by Ruby
Is there some way to reduce the memory consumption by RUBY ?

When Simics is run by itself, it consume about 100-200 MB of main memory. But when I load RUBY, the requirement goes upto 1-2 GB, which isn't so bad considering what all it does.

But, I have been trying to do some experiments with variation in the data block size while keeping the total cache size same. For e.g., in order to reduce the block size by the factor of 2, I increase the cache associativity by the same factor. And this, doubles the memory consumption for every factor of 2 increase in the associativity, is this expected ?

Shantanu