[Gems-users] Help in DirRequestFromL2Cache -> requestToDir

Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 03:06:30 -0500
From: "Tushar Krishna (tkrishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <tkrishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Help in DirRequestFromL2Cache -> requestToDir
Hi,

I am trying to track the memory request as it goes from L2 to the Memory/Directory and back as I'm trying to implement a prefetch unit at L2.
When the cache line request message is sent from the L2 Cache to the Memory/Directory, I see that it is enquued in the m_L2Cache_DirRequestFromL2Cache_vec buffer.

But the Directory_Wakeup looks at the m_Directory_requestToDir_vec buffer.

Where does the transfer from m_L2Cache_DirRequestFromL2Cache_vec to m_Directory_requestToDir_vec buffer take place?
Similarly when the addr is sent back.

Can the entire address traversal be tracked?

I modified the Address class to have a private member prefetch_bit so that as the address moves on, its status as a prefetch address or a normal miss stays with it so that when it returns back to L2, I can stop the call back to L1...

Am I trying something too elaborate here for the prefetch?
I am using the MSI_MOSI_CMP_bcast protocol which requires inclusion. So would an extra request (for prefetch) not being allowed to go back to L1 create problems?

Thanks
Tushar