Re: [Gems-users] Time spent in synchronization

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:30:12 -0600
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Time spent in synchronization
gethrtime() is bogus under simulation. Solaris's view of time is horribly skewed under Simics alone or Simics+Ruby. Try measuring using RUBY_CYCLES instead.

Hemayet Hossain wrote:
Hi All,
I am simulating some splash2 benchmarks by using ruby with simics 2.2.19 (Solaris 10) and to characterize the time spent in synchronization, I have instrumented the synchronization calls like locks and barrier. I have binded each thread to a specific processor (one-to-one) and collecting the time by calling high resolution timer gethrtime(). In real machine run (having 16 processors) for 16 threads I get around 19% time spent on synchronization for a program. If I run the same program in simics without ruby, I also get similar percentage of time spent in synchronization.

But If I run the same program in simics with ruby, the time spent in synchronization is much higher (goes around 75% of total). I have collected the time from both programs and from ruby. Both are getting almost same percentage number. I am using MESI_SCMP_directory like protocol having 2 cycles for L1 and 14 cycles for L2 access.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? What wrong with my setup? I would really appreciate your reply.
Thanks,
Hemayet