Re: [Gems-users] Time spent in synchronization

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:57:30 -0600
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Time spent in synchronization
Its really hard to say if it is reasonable or not without lots of details of the real machine and the workloads. However, if the workload 1) fits in the cache (16MB seems like it might hold a lot of SPLASH-2) and 2) Sees a lot of multicycle ALU operations then its reasonably likely that synchronization will start to dominate by effectively shortening non-synchronization time.

Unfortunately, its rather hard to determine how much increase is really reasonable. You can try playing around with the target's cache sizes (perhaps sizing the shared cache to the size of a single private cache in your SunFire -- /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag -v should do the trick), but it is rather hard to make up for the IPC=1 core assumption.

Regards,
Dan

Hemayet Hossain wrote:
Hi Dan,
Thanks a lot. Yes, my real system is a 16 processors Sun-FireSystem. I agree with your explanation; but I was wondering whether the difference can be that much. Like, I am getting 12% -->42%, 28%->75%, 54%->82%, 13%->60% for four different applications (from RUBY_CYCLES). Do you think this is reasonable?
Thanks once again,
Hemayet

Dan Gibson wrote:
I think that is the right approach for measuring simulation time. But is the increased synchronization time all that surprising? I see from your response to Mike that your real machine is a 16-processor v9-based (sun4u -- is it a SunFire of some sort?), and your target is a 16-processor CMP with a big shared L2.

Depending on the performance disparity between real and target machines, it might be correct to show increased synchronization time under simulation. (Recall that Simics+Ruby uses a very simple processor model (IPC=1 for all non-memory operations). This can artificially inflate the apparent performance of a processor by abstracting away pipeline details.)

Regards,
Dan

Hemayet Hossain wrote:
Hi Dan,
I have collected the time through RUBY_CYCLES also. For that I have passed the binded proc id (kept in an array in program) with Magic calls for start and finish of lock/barriers calls and used that proc id for keeping track of which proc is in synchronization and which one is not. Do you think my approach is wrong?

Thanks,
Hemayet

Dan Gibson wrote:
gethrtime() is bogus under simulation. Solaris's view of time is horribly skewed under Simics alone or Simics+Ruby. Try measuring using RUBY_CYCLES instead.

Hemayet Hossain wrote:
Hi All,
I am simulating some splash2 benchmarks by using ruby with simics 2.2.19 (Solaris 10) and to characterize the time spent in synchronization, I have instrumented the synchronization calls like locks and barrier. I have binded each thread to a specific processor (one-to-one) and collecting the time by calling high resolution timer gethrtime(). In real machine run (having 16 processors) for 16 threads I get around 19% time spent on synchronization for a program. If I run the same program in simics without ruby, I also get similar percentage of time spent in synchronization.

But If I run the same program in simics with ruby, the time spent in synchronization is much higher (goes around 75% of total). I have collected the time from both programs and from ruby. Both are getting almost same percentage number. I am using MESI_SCMP_directory like protocol having 2 cycles for L1 and 14 cycles for L2 access.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? What wrong with my setup? I would really appreciate your reply.
Thanks,
Hemayet