Re: [Gems-users] opal stats qn

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 13:16:20 -0600
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] opal stats qn
Approximate cycle per sec =
Approximate number of target cycles that your host simulates in 1 second.

Regards,
Dan

sudrang@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hmmm...Just to make sure i understand this correctly, total number of
cycles is that of the target machine(the one for which i wrote a opal
config) and the approximate cycles per sec is the number of cycles of that
target machine that hte host machine can simulate every sec?

Thanks,
Sudharsan

Approximate cycle per sec = Total number of cycles / Total Elapsed Time

Approximate cycle per sec is a measure of host performance, not target
performance.

Regards,
Dan

sudrang@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello,
Im confused a bit abt the runtime stats of opal.

[0] *** Runtime statistics:
[0]   Total number of instructions                        641511246
[0]   Total number of cycles                              397438255
[0]   number of continue calls                            641511246
[0]   Instruction per cycle:                             1.61412
[0]   Total Elapsed Time:                                31523 sec 0
usec
[0]   Total Retirement Time:                             17325 sec
571864
usec
[0]   Approximate cycle per sec:                         12607.5
[0]   Approximate instructions per sec:                  20349.9
[0]   This processor's Simics overhead (retire/elapsed):  54.96%

The approximate cycle per sec confuses me. Where did this number come
from?
My configuration file models an alpha 21264 at 466Mhz(This is irrelevant
given that we talk in terms of cycles everywhere), my target
pc(serengeti)
has a frequency of 75 Mhz and my host pc runs at 3Ghz.
I just need execution time for the benchmark, the total number of cycles
here are for the actual benchmark on the target machine..right(I dont
want
the work done by the host machine)?

Thanks,
Sudharsan