Re: [Gems-users] Announcing GEMS 1.4

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 13:18:56 -0600 (CST)
From: Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Announcing GEMS 1.4

> I have a few of questions regarding
> MESI_SCMP_tiledL2bank_directory protocol. How many
> tiles are there?
> How can we configure the number of
> tiles?

As many processors.  However I only included one new network file for 16
processors.  Each tile has a processor and L2 bank.

> As L2s are are used as directories, I
> understand there is no other "main memory". Am I
> right?

There is a "dumb" memory controller that just responds to a FETCH.

> Are the L2s private or shared?

Shared by default, but it is quite easy to increase replication or even
implement Victim Replication [ISCA 2005].  I'll leave that for the user to
figure out ;-)

> If you have
> already documented this information on the web site,
> please let me know.

I have an ISCA paper coming in June that uses this protocol as one of the
baselines.

--Mike