Re: [Gems-users] executed instructions

Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 07:56:10 -0600
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] executed instructions
Braulio,

In multiprocessor systems, the execution path (and the number of instructions) will vary from execution to execution, depending on (among other things) minor variations in the observed memory latencies. Even small deltas can cause locks to be acquired in different orders, causing different executions. These locks can reside in the OS, remember, so even single-threaded code can suffer on multithreaded machines. We combat this variation by running multiple simulations of each configuration and computing 95% confidence intervals.

As far as comparing the number of instructions executed, you might want to ensure that simulation really has stopped in the same "place" -- eg. the insturction pointers of each processor are identical for both of your protocols when execution finishes. When using magic instructions in more than one location, problems can arise when they are reached in different orders.

Regards,
Dan

Braulio Pino wrote:

Hello,
I have run two different implementations of the MOSI protocol and I want to check whether one of them improves the other in terms of execution cycles. To this end, I have created a checkpoint and I use the magic instructions in order to the two simulations run the same part of the application that I want to simulate. After running them, I have seen that the number of executed instructions is different in spite of simulating the same part of the application. Therefore, I do not know if it is possible that I have done something wrong or, on the other hand, those results could be right. I think that if I simulate the same part of the code, both simulations should run the same number of instructions, shouldn't they? In case the simulations are correct, do I have to take into account the number of executed instructions to compare the execution time or I can compare the ruby cycles directly?

Thanks you.

Regards.