Re: [Gems-users] Do you have the plan to support the Dragon protocol inGEMS?

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 02:17:09 -0400
From: Milo Martin <milom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Do you have the plan to support the Dragon protocol inGEMS?
I agree with Mike's assessment that update protocols are challenging. However, I would strengthen his comment to say that update protocols aren't just challenging in GEMS, they are challenging to implement in *real* systems as well. The memory consistency model issues become really complicated really quickly. I think this is one of the main reasons that most real systems today use invalidation-based cache coherence protocols. Sure, there are some issues with write-through L1s to a shared L2 used in systems such as IBM's Power4, but that isn't as bad as a full update protocol. I just can't think of a example of a high-performance multiprocessor with an update protocol built in the last decade (or longer).

For this reason, the Ruby/SLICC part of GEMS explicitly focuses only on block-level coherence (which usually implies invalidation-based cache coherence). Modifying GEMS to support update-based coherence could be done, but most of SLICC would need to be removed (or heavily modified) to do so.

- Milo