Re: [Gems-users] 3 hop writeback MESI SCMP

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 15:55:00 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] 3 hop writeback MESI SCMP
That was a super quick reply for the first question
Q2) I see that in some of your recent papers (Ring ordering, MICRO 2006), you use a director cache or memory interface cache even for CMP systems. I am not entirely sure what the purpose or rational behind this cache is. In other words, what is the entry of a memory interface cache look like.

My understanding is if you have a 1 CMP system with shared L2 the entire directory will be on-chip

If you use an inclusive Shared L2 with directory state in the tags, then yes, you don't need another directory in DRAM. See my ISCA 2007 paper on Virtual Hierarchies for some discussion on this

--Mike