Re: [Gems-users] Different numbers of instructions, msgs, etc when running Ruby on the same workload

Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 14:43:26 -0500
From: Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Different numbers of instructions, msgs, etc when running Ruby on the same workload
Lide Duan wrote:
Oh... so if some msgs finish their traverses more quickly due to the
different routing algorithm, they might affect the following behaviors of
the application, thus generating different amount of msgs in different runs,
right?

If so, how can I make a fair comparison between the performances using
different routing algorithms? CPI?

If you are running multihreaded workloads, I recommend seeing the following papers for a discussion of using a work-based metric rather than CPI/IPC:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/multifacet/papers/ieeemicro06_ipc.pdf
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/multifacet/papers/hpca03_variability.pdf

--Mike