Re: [Gems-users] Some questions about MOESI_CMP_directory

Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:46:22 -0500
From: Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Some questions about MOESI_CMP_directory

OK, I see. Thank you , Mike. I just try to follow the general design
and procedure of this protocol.

What about the prioritized VNs I asked in last email? Do you have any
idea about this?

Yes, VN are prioritized. I don't remember the exact reason for inverting the priorities, but I imagine it had to do with preventing starvation. I believe Brad added this when working with FINITE_BUFFERING

--Mike

I am wondering has Ruby prioritized the different VNs? I remember that
the Throttle in the network source code satisfies the bandwidth
requirements from VN3 to VN0, which means the VN3 gets the highest
priority, but these priorities will be inverted if the variable
m_wakeups_wo_switch in Throttle exceeds a constant
PRIORITY_SWITCH_LIMIT. Is there anywhere else related to the
prioritized VNs? Why did you do that?

Thanks,
Lide