[Gems-users] Are direct-mapped caches disabled for a reason?

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:02:56 -0500
From: Philip Garcia <pcgarcia@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Are direct-mapped caches disabled for a reason?
I was playing with some settings in Ruby today (in GEMS 2.1), and it seems that direct mapped caches are disallowed by an assert statement on line 42 of system/PseudoLRUPolicy.h (failed assertion 'num_sets > 0 && assoc > 1 && assoc <= (Index) sizeof(uint64)*4' at fn PseudoLRUPolicy::PseudoLRUPolicy(Index, Index) in system/ PseudoLRUPolicy.h:42). While I can change this assert so that it says assoc>=1, is there any reason why this was in effect? Things seem to run properly without it, but I don't really know for sure.

thanks,
Phil