Re: [Gems-users] Are direct-mapped caches disabled for a reason?

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:08:48 -0500
From: "Dan Gibson" <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Are direct-mapped caches disabled for a reason?
I'm not entirely sure on this, but I would imagine the assert says 'assoc > 1' because there shouldn't *BE* a replacement policy for assoc = 1.

Regards,
Dan

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 8:02 PM, Philip Garcia <pcgarcia@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was playing with some settings in Ruby today (in GEMS 2.1), and it
seems that direct mapped caches are disallowed by an assert statement
on line 42 of system/PseudoLRUPolicy.h (failed assertion 'num_sets > 0
&& assoc > 1 && assoc <= (Index) sizeof(uint64)*4' at fn
PseudoLRUPolicy::PseudoLRUPolicy(Index, Index) in system/
PseudoLRUPolicy.h:42).  While I can change this assert so that it says
assoc>=1, is there any reason why this was in effect?  Things seem to
run properly without it, but I don't really know for sure.

thanks,
Phil