Re: [Gems-users] Having trouble getting LogTM running

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:20:08 -0600
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Having trouble getting LogTM running
First of all, I cannot comment on the naked scripts since I haven't used them myself. I generated many of our internal checkpoints, the old-fashioned manual way.

That said, I advise you not to run two instances at the same time. The limiting factor in the OS install is memory, and unless you have a large main memory on your host, you'll probably slow things down considerably if you run two instances.

When I actually installed the OS, I installed on a one-processor machine with a small memory, then booted the disk images on different machine configurations to make 2, 4, 8-processor (etc) checkpoints. As I recall, the OS install (both disks, Solaris Express) took around 8 hours or so on an Opteron 248 w/ 16 GB of memory, so it could take considerably longer than that to do so on a 32-processor machine. Just booting a 32-processor machine (note, after OS install) can take up to four hours according to my notes.

Its fairly common to reduce the target's CPU frequency (or at least what Simics pretends it is) to relatively speed up I/O operations. You can do so by changing TARGET_CPU_FREQ_MHZ int system.conf to, say, 10-20. This won't affect the statistics reported by Ruby, aside from changing relative frequency of interrupts and I/O events.

Lastly, I haven't installed Solaris 10 before, but the install process for Solaris Express is supposedly similar and the only progress bars I recall come from the individual package installs, after machine identification. Judging by your output (in the previous message) the installer hasn't yet reached machine ID.

Regards,
Dan