Re: [Gems-users] Having trouble getting LogTM running

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:09:43 -0600
From: Jayaram Bobba <bobba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Having trouble getting LogTM running
Dan is right. 4 GB of RAM was used.

Jim Leek wrote:

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx <mailto:degibson@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Installation of the OS can take a LONG LONG time to run. Having 32
    processors and 64 GB of memory will only slow things down. If you're
    concerned about excess runtime, I'd recommend trying to make a 2-8
    processor checkpoint with 4 GB of RAM (I believe the LogTM papers used
    machines with 4 GB, though an author might correct me on that).

64GB of RAM did seem excessive, but I didn't find how much RAM was used in the papers I read. I guess I'll try another install as you suggest. I have to processors on this machine, so I don't think it should be a problem to run another run of the script on a smaller target.

How long is a LONG time? How many days are we talking about here? I would have expected, at the very least, some sort of progress bar from Solaris. I haven't seen any new output in 13 hours, but I've also never installed Solaris before, so maybe that's normal?

Jim