Re: [Gems-users] Checkpoints

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 14:16:15 -0600
From: Derek Hower <drh5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Checkpoints
> 1. I assume there is no difference between sarek and abisko from GEMS point
> of view. I mean we can use both. Is that right?

Correct.

> 2. Since number of processors and memory are the main inputs to the script,
> I started with them. As far as I know, number of cpus is not hot-pluggable
> so you cannot change the number of processors after you boot a machine. Is
> this the case for memory as well?

I don't believe the memory is hot-pluggable, but to be honest I'm not
100% sure.  You should check that out in the Simics forums.

> 3. I checked the target guide for serengeti and accordingly, I set the
> following parameters in abisko-common.simics
>     - $os
>     - $num_cpus
> $disk_size was same with the one used in the script so I left it as it is.
> However, I do not know how to setup disk_{cylinders,heads,tracks} which were
> set to some numbers in the script, as I couldn't see any match in the guide.
> Any ideas on this?

Again, try the Simics forum.

> 4. Same question for memory, it looks like the second parameter represents
> the entire memory. How can I specify that in the abisko-common.simics? I
> only see $megs_per_cpu, so let's say for a 16 processor machine should I
> basically divide that to 16 and set it for $megs_per_cpu? Would that be
> consistent with what Ruby is looking for?

Yes, but be careful.  I'm not familiar with the abisko machine, but
depending on how memory is laid out you may end up with a
non-contiguous address space.  Ruby handles non-contiguous addresses
correctly, but may take a major performance hit.  From the GEMS
perspective, you are usually better off trying to arrange memory in a
top heavy fashion (e.g. as much as you can on board 1, then the rest
on board two, none on boards 3, 4, 5, ...)