Re: [Gems-users] about the Garnet NoC

Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:15:29 -0700
From: Niket Agarwal <niketa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] about the Garnet NoC
1. can I use MOSI_SMP_bcast if I wanna use Garnet NoC?

Broadcast protocols require some specific ordering which conventional networks don't provide. So, answer is no.

2. if I specify num_cpu = 4, does it means that it is a 4-node Network with each node a single processor? or the number of network is yet to be decided but each node is a 4-core processor? Use the files in GEMS/ruby/network/simple/ ?

The number of nodes in the networks are sum of cores + shared L2 banks + number of distributed memories.

3. which benchmarks can be run on a NoC based NoC? As I know, an NoC based system can be a distributed system and applications are possibly required partition and mapping. And, each node can have a seperate OS. So using Garnet in GEMS, is there still just one OS (instead of each node has a seperate OS)?

Garnet takes messages from Ruby which in turn is driven by Simics. So, no special action needs to be done to run Garnet.

Also, is there any more detailed doc about how to use Garnet NoC?

Apart from the wiki, http://www.princeton.edu/~niketa/publications/garnet_tr08.pdf has a bit more details.