Re: [Gems-users] FILE_SPECIFIED Topology

Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 14:15:44 -0400
From: Edward Lee <edwl202@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] FILE_SPECIFIED Topology
Thanks Javi,

It works now.

Regards,

Ed

2009/6/3 Javi Merino <jmerino@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Edward Lee wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Edward,

> I am trying to use the FILE_SPECIFIED topology for my experiments with
> the MOESI_SMP_directory protocol. If I try to use the sample network
> file "NUCA_Procs-16_ProcsPerChip-1_L2Banks-16_Memories-16.txt" for my
> 16 processor simulation, I am getting the following error:
>
> failed assertion 'atoi((string_split(varStr, ':')).c_str()) ==
> g_endpoint_bandwidth' at fn void Topology::makeFileSpecified() in
> network/simple/Topology.C:540
> failed assertion 'atoi((string_split(varStr, ':')).c_str()) ==
> g_endpoint_bandwidth' at fn void Topology::makeFileSpecified() in
> network/simple/Topology.C:540
> At this point you might want to attach a debug to the running and get
> to the
> crash site; otherwise press enter to continue
> PID: 13257
>
> Abort (SIGABRT) in main thread
> The simulation state has been corrupted. Simulation cannot continue.
> Please restart Simics.

bw_unit in NUCA_Procs-16_ProcsPerChip-1_L2Banks-16_Memories-16.txt is
1000. You should have the same value in g_endpoint_bandwidth (in
ruby/config/rubyconfig.defaults or using ruby0.setparam). This may be
your problem here.

> If I try to use Garnet, and generate a topology file using the python
> script and changing the g_CACHE_DESIGN to MESH, accordingly using the
> "MESH_Procs-16_ProcsPerChip-1_L2Banks-16_Memories-16.txt" file I am
> getting the following error:
>
> Warning: in fn MachineType string_to_MachineType(const std::string&)
> in generated/MOESI_SMP_directory/MachineType.C:36: str is L2Cache
> Warning: in fn MachineType string_to_MachineType(const std::string&)
> in generated/MOESI_SMP_directory/MachineType.C:36: str is L2Cache
> Fatal Error: in fn MachineType string_to_MachineType(const
> std::string&) in generated/MOESI_SMP_directory/MachineType.C:37:
> Invalid string conversion for type MachineType
> Fatal Error: in fn MachineType string_to_MachineType(const
> std::string&) in generated/MOESI_SMP_directory/MachineType.C:37:
> Invalid string conversion for type MachineType
> Abort (SIGABRT) in main thread
> The simulation state has been corrupted. Simulation cannot continue.
> Please restart Simics.

You are using an SMP protocol, which doesn't have L2s, and the generated
network file has L2s. I don't know if it is enough to just remove the
ext_node:L2Cache (I haven't simulated an SMP protocol with
FILE_SPECIFIED) but you should only have ext_nodes for the machines
defined in the protocol you are simulating.

> [...]
>
> Can somebody help me with this issue?

Hope this helps,
Javi