Re: [Gems-users] idle processors have high instruction & cycle count

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 14:31:31 -0500
From: Philip Garcia <pcgarcia@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] idle processors have high instruction & cycle count
just because a processor isn't executing anything useful doesn't mean it isn't executing.  The cores aren't shut down when idle, so you'd expect cycles to be the same on all processors (unless you've modified the OS and the system to be otherwise).  As for instructions, generally these cpus are executing an idle loop.  I'd expect that to be a supervisor instruction as well, but I don't know how solaris handles its idle loops.  Personally, I prefer counting instructions by the context that executed them rather than just raw instructions, that way I can also account for how much time is spent in the OS, etc.

Phil