[Gems-users] better warming up for cache

Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 16:50:12 +0800
From: lori zhuang <lorizhuang@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] better warming up for cache
List,
      I have some questions on cache warming up . In the official way warming up is mostly like:
Load from a cold checkpoint;

Load ruby;

Run for a while;

Ruby0.save-cache filename;

Ruby0.write-configuration warm_check.conf;

Edit to remove ruby0 from warm_check.conf

Load from warm_check.conf;

Load ruby;

Ruby0.load-cache filename;

Run ruby;

1.But since save-cache command only save the L1 cache(seen from source code), this way only warms up the L1 cache, right?

     I use clear-stats command for warming up instead like:

Load from a cold checkpoint;

Load ruby;

Ruby for a while;

Ruby0.clear-stats;

Run;

2. I think after clear-stats command, many statistics of ruby are cleared, but L1 cache and L2 cache remain in warm up state. Then I continue the simulation and use dump-stats command to dump the ruby statistics. Isn't this a better way or a right way for warming up?

Thanks,

lorizhuang