Re: [Gems-users] a question about directory access

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:26:19 -0400
From: Gregory Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] a question about directory access
The CMP protocols use a shared L2.  Cache lines are mapped to L2 modules by their address.  The "home" L2 for a particular address is responsible for keeping track of L1 copies.  So an L1 miss first goes to the home L2.  If there's a cached copy on chip, it will be there.  If not, the L2 sends the miss to the proper directory to get data from memory.

...Greg