[Gems-users] Double word spanning cache lines

Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 11:47:59 -0500
From: Rakesh Komuravelli <komurav1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Double word spanning cache lines
Hi,

I have a small question regarding double words spanning two cache lines in x86. Ruby seems to silently ignore the size of the request (load or store) passed on from Simics (which is present in the memory_transaction_t object). I guess this is fine for the case where the entire double word sits in a single cache line. But it's a problem when it spans two cache lines. This should ideally be considered as two different requests one for each cache line. In our simulations we did see a value of 8 set for the size parameter for requests involving double words spanning two cache lines. So, Simics is not taking care of this situation and Ruby too is silently ignoring the request size.

Anyone faced with similar problems? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Rakesh