[Condor-users] condor user needed?

I am setting up a small condor pool and I'm trying to make some decisions about how to configure my installation. If do not use a shared filesystem among the nodes, is there any advantage to having a condor user and condor home directory? From the documentation, the condor user is also used to write log files but these could also be written as root by specifying root in the CONDOR_IDS parameter. Is the condor user needed for any other functions?

thanks again for all your help...
Mike