RE: [Condor-users] how to terminate jobs automatically

comments inline

good question don't know if this erquires that you trap the signal or not

6.7 dev series allows the streaming of the output - this may be sufficient for your needs anyway - I haven't used it yet so can't really help

> > Alternatively have your jobs keep track of the time
> themseves (making
> > this time an additional argument perhaps) and have them
> kill themselves
> > (nicely if possible with a message to that effect) a minute
> or so before
> > condor would (to allow for clock differences)
>
> Yeah I had thought of that but I'm wary of having users hard code this
> kind of implementation detail in their apps in case we change
> things in the
> future.
> A signal handler would be more future proof.

indeed

> On Sun Grid Engine, which is UNIX based it is possible to send the app
> a "warning" signal to tell it to clear itself up before it
> sends the KILL
> signal.
> Is there anything possible like on Condor/Windows.

condor does a similar thing when vacating a job see http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.7/2_7Priorities_Preemption.html (section 2.7.3)

The only problem is what to do with your state info if you have no access to central storage...

> > Note that the above solution has some unpleasant security
> connotations
> > you may not be able to accept.
>
> We're stuck with the vanilla universe so I guess this precludes having
> Condor connect the I/O to a shadow running on another
> machine. I wouldn't
> fancy writing my own version of this - plus I doubt we could live with
> the security problems.

you're a bit stuck then - I can only suggest the 6.7 retime stream. This doesn't help you on restart but does get you all the output irrespective of outcome.

Gloucester Research Limited believes the information
provided herein is reliable. While every care has been
taken to ensure accuracy, the information is furnished
to the recipients with no warranty as to the completeness
and accuracy of its contents and on condition that any
errors or omissions shall not be made the basis for any
claim, demand or cause for action.