Re: [Condor-users] Pthreads and condor_compile

On Fri July 30 2004 8:46 am, Sven-Arne Reinemo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of our Condor users tried to use condor_compile on a program which
> uses pthreads, but this did not work very well. So I am wondering does
> condor_compile support programs that use pthreads? If not, is there any
> other thread libraries that are supported or should we just use the
> vanilla universe?

No, you can't do this in general, unless you're running completely user-space
threads, which isn't very common.  Look in section 1.4 "Current Limitations"
in the manual:

Limitations on Jobs which can Checkpointed
Although Condor can schedule and run any type of process, Condor does have
some limitations on jobs that it can transparently checkpoint and migrate:

1. Multi-process jobs are not allowed. This includes system calls such as
fork(), exec(), and system().
6. Multiple kernel-level threads are not allowed. However, multiple user-level
threads are allowed.

Sorry,

-Nick

--
           <<< It's the question that drives us. >>>
 /`-_    Nicholas R. LeRoy               The Condor Project