Re: [Condor-users] a vanilla job

Hi

I tryied in many ways to pass the obstacle  of specifying a blank-space inside a   character argument

executable=/bin/sh
arguments=-c date +%s
executable=/bin/sh
arguments=-c "date +%s"

executable=/bin/sh
arguments=-c 'date +%s'

executable=/bin/sh
arguments=-c \"date +%s\"

executable=/bin/sh
arguments=-c \'date +%s\'

..... but no one of that works .....
Do you know how condor instantiate a process?
MayBe there is a trick....or just with a little change in lib_script or something like....Or maybe simply a bug

J.Kewley@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi ,
I am using the following submission file for condor:

executable=/bin/sh
arguments=-c date +%s
output=res.out
error=res.err
log=res.log
universe=vanilla
notification=never
queue

and I 'd expect a result like
1088427848

but I obtain :
Mon Jun 28 14:58:00 CEST 2004

In effect condor jobs seem to parse only the 1st argument: It really
execute a  process
/bin/sh -c date  --->  Mon Jun 28 14:58:00 CEST 2004

and not
/bin/sh -c date  +%s --->  1088427848

If I run this on the command line, I get the same result as your Condor is
giving (Whitebox
Linux)

If I run it on cygwin, it gets confused with the % (presumably windows
interaction).

Putting single quotes around the date part seems to work on the command
line:

/bin/sh -c 'date +%s'

Maybe sh is gobbling the +%s, thinking it is one of its options.
BTW I think double quotes would also do the trick.

Does this work?

JK