Re: [Condor-users] Multiple masters on one machine

On 09/30/2004 04:37 PM, Alain Roy wrote:

It seems it is not possible to start more than one condor_master process, though it should be possible to define directories etc. for more than one master.

It is certainly possible. You need to have a unique configuration file for each one. The easiest way to make this work is to define CONDOR_CONFIG with the appropriate location before you begin a particular master. If each master sees a different CONDOR_CONFIG variable, you'll be fine.

You will want the directories to be unique for each one.

Thank you for the quick answer. I have some more questions now.

The good thing is that I was now able to start two masters:

11169 ?        S      0:00 /opt/condor/sbin/condor_master
11170 ?        S      0:00 condor_collector -f
11171 ?        S      0:00 condor_negotiator -f
11172 ?        S      0:01 condor_startd -f
11173 ?        S      0:00 condor_schedd -f
11215 ?        S      0:00 /opt/condor/sbin/condor_master
11216 ?        S      0:01 condor_startd -f
11217 ?        S      0:00 condor_schedd -f

Each master should have his own directory and configuration files. The configuration should almost be the same; the only differences are the values for LOWPORT and HIGHPORT macros, the LOCAL_DIR and RELEASE_DIR, and the COLLECTOR_NAME. Do I have to change something else?

Perhaps I should elaborate on what we are trying to achieve. We have two pools in the same subnet and would like to have the two masters on one machine now.

So, I have a more questions now:

1. What could be the reason that the second condor isn't starting collector and negotiator? IMHO they should start because it's (more or less) the same configuration file.

2. Is there a way to tell the clients to which master they should connect if there are different masters on the same machine in the same subnet? The only thing I could think of is the port setting. But I have tried this, giving two clients different ports and they seem to connect to the same master.

Thank you again,
Christian.