Re: [Condor-users] flocking: trying to connect directly to theprivatenetwork

Hi Henrique,

I expect the Wisconsin chaps  to speak up if I utter any falsehoods in this
message, but in current "out-of-the-box" Condor the central manager (which
is running on your cluster head-node, right?) is just a resource broker.
Once a submit node and execute machine have been matched he just retires
gracefully from the scene and the shadow process on the submit node and the
starter on the execute node communicate directly. Hence, there has to be a
viable route between these machines, which you currently don't have for a
number of reasons (no port forwarding on the head node, un-routable private
IP addresses being used by the cluster nodes).

Flocking allows central managers of *different* pools to share resources
between their pools, so a job submitted from a machine on one pool can end
up running on an execute node in the other. Again, those central managers
are just brokering; they're not doing any fancy routing of Condor traffic.

I don't know how stable GCB is (Sechang?), and as far as I'm aware DFP is
not even available yet. If you don't want to use these, then as far as I
can tell you have two more options open to you: 1) enable port forwarding
on your head node and give those cluster nodes addresses that would be
routable outside of the cluster (this is what we use), or 2) set up the
head node to IP masquerade on their behalf, assuming you've built this into
the kernel.

Does this sound sensible Wisconsin?

Cheers,
Mark