Re: [Condor-users] Debian 2.6.8 Kernel

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 04:09:00PM +0100, Dominik Kasprzyk wrote:
> Hello
>
> We have a cluster running with Condor 6.6 and running a very old version
of Red Hat.  As a result, we're upgrading the cluster and we decided to
upgrade it to Debian running its version of the 2.6 kernel and currently
have a test mini-cluster that's running upgraded. I'm about to slap Condor
on it.  The word from another cluster admin in our scientific collaboration
who've performed Fedora upgrades is that 2.6 is not supported by 6.6 and
that we should be running the dev version, although 6.6 lists Debian Sarge
3.1 support.  After the (very strictly worded!) warnings in the manual about
running dev versions (6.7), I just thought I'd ask you people if you knew
anything about this and what your opinions on this are.

> Also, on a related note, the cluster and mini-cluster are connected up to
each other (we didn't bother to form a separate network).  Are their any
gotchas that, as a beginning Condor admin, I should know about were I to
run two Condor configs side by side?  Especially if they're different
versions?

Hi Dominik,

(please don't write lines longer than about 70-75 characters as it's hard
to quote them)

I'm running 6.7.3 under 2.4.27 - but I'm not aware of a problem with higher
(2.6) kernels. I might be wrong, though.
What's more impoprtant is the library interface that has to match your
local setup (gcc and libc come to mind), but also only if you're going
Standard Universe. Here, nobody uses Standard... only Vanilla and some
DAG stuff as far as I can tell from the stats.

For the two clusters, you should put them into different DNS domains
(they can share teh same NIS servers!) and give them different config
files (I did exactly this with a big AMD cluster and a small Alpha one).
If you want them to talk to each other though, you may have a look at
"flocking".

6.6 vs. 6.7: 6.7 has a nice fail-over feature that might become interesting
for you. And most of the changes made to 6.6.x have been ported to 6.7.y.

I remember seeing some issues when trying to submit from an earlier version
of Condor to a newer one - but I didn't copy down the details.

Cheers,
 Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald * MPI fuer Gravitationsphysik (Albert-Einstein-Institut)
SciencePark Golm, Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam * http://www.aei.mpg.de