[Condor-users] Confused: condor_q -name option with flocking

Hello,

I am starting to look at flocking from a Condor 6.6.10 system to a pool on
a Condor 6.7.6 system. I am, however, a bit confused with some of the
condor command options.

The condor_status command states (from the 6.6 on-line manual):

  -pool centralmanagerhostname[:portnumber]
     (Query option) Query the specified central manager using an optional
     port number. (condor_ status queries COLLECTOR_HOST by default)

Now this seems to make sense, and the condor_q command states the same for
'-pool' but then states:

  -name name
     Show only the job queue of the named schedd

It also states further up:

  a schedd name with the -name option, which causes the queue of the named
  schedd to be queried

The condor_status command seems to work fine with the '-pool' option, but
for condor_q it seems I have to use both '-pool' and '-name'.

The confusion is what do I actually specify for the '-name' option? What
is 'a schedd name'? For the '-pool' option I have been specifying the FQDN
of the server I am flocking to, I have done the same with the '-name'
option and that seems to work (I can see the job queue on the remote
server). But what then is the point of having to use both '-pool' and
'-name' if they are both the same?

Thanks,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839