From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Zachary Miller
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 11:20 AM
To: Condor-Users Mail List
Subject: Re: [Condor-users] TOOL_DEBUG overhead

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 08:18:36AM -0600, agoar@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> While debugging a Condor issue, I ran across the TOOL_DEBUG config
file entry.
> Turning that to D_FULLDEBUG and specifying the -debug command line
> option with one of the Condor commands helped me quite a big in
> solving the issue I was having. This got me to thinking. Since I have
> to use the -debug command line option to get the debug output, is
> there any harm in leaving TOOL_DEBUG always set to D_FULLDEBUG on all
the machines I use to administrate my Condor pool?

there is no harm or overhead at all in having TOOL_DEBUG set.  if you
don't use the '-debug' flag to a tool, the TOOL_DEBUG setting has
absolutely no effect.

> Does the TOOL_DEBUG entry really only affect command line tools?

yes.

basically, the TOOL_DEBUG setting controls the "debug level" of the
tools.
that is, if you give the '-debug' flag to a tool, then you will see the
messages specified by TOOL_DEBUG.

and by the way, D_FULLDEBUG isn't the most verbose setting (which i
think is kind of misleading).  D_ALL will give you everything.

cheers,
-zach