Re: [Condor-users] Using transfer_output_files to return very largeamounts of files.

On 12/9/05, Chris Miles <chrismiles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I dont want condor to automatically generate process_$(process).out for
> every job.
> from stdout. I want it to ignore stdout.

That's fine - just don't indicate that you want an out file.

You can still* leave transfer_output_files undefined and then any
files in the root of your jobs directory created by your joob will be
transferred back without the stderr/stdout
Off the top of my head I can't remember whether it does this by not
transferring back the out and err files or if it doesn't bother
redirecting them to disk - I strongly suspect the latter

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.6.10/2_5Submitting_Job.html#SECTION00354300000000000000

is pretty clear on this:

<quote>
As a default, for jobs other than those submitted to the globus
universe, any files that are modified or created by the job in the
temporary directory at the remote site are transferred back to the
machine from which the job was submitted. Most of the time, this is
the best option. To restrict the files that are transferred, specify
the exact list with transfer_output_files. Again, filenames are
delimited with a comma. When this list is defined and any of the files
do not exist as the job exits, Condor considers this an error, and
re-runs the job. For example:

  transfer_output_files = final-results

WARNING: Do not specify transfer_output_files (for other than globus
universe jobs) unless there is a really good reason - it is best to
let Condor figure things out by itself based upon what output the job
produces.

For globus universe jobs, files to be transferred (other than standard
output and standard error) must be specified using
transfer_output_files in the submit description file.
</quote>

* again providing you aren't using globus...

Matt