Re: [Condor-users] Different hosts needed for main collector/negotiator and condorview collector

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 02:10:22PM -0600, Steven Timm wrote:

> A while ago I installed condorview.  Some of the documentation indicated
> that the VIEW_COLLECTOR ought to be running on
> a different host than the regular COLLECTOR.
> That's my configuration at the moment.  Does anyone have
> experience with doing it any different way?  In particular, would
> it be possible to run the regular collector and the view_collector
> on the same machine as long as the machine is a 4-way Dell with 16GB of
> RAM?

No, you don't need to have a seperate view collector - they can be
the same machine (in fact, they can be the same collector daemon)

The reason we recommend that the view collector be on a seperate machine
is that the "database" we use for keeping pool history is terrible.
It's very, very slow. We found that querying it often when there is a lot
of data impacted performance of the rest of the collector's functions, so
we made it possible to put that data on another machine.

In the Condor pool at UW-Madison, we seperated our VIEW_COLLECTOR from
our COLLECTOR when the hardware was 200 Mhz P6 machines. (Actually, probably
eariler) and recommended in the manual that others do the same, and we
haven't revisisted that advice in at least 5 years, maybe 7 or 8.
On a modern SMP machine, I doubt that it is as important.

-Erik