[Condor-users] Preferring a machine for special jobs using RANK

My apologies if this is an oft-repeated question, but I haven't been able to figure it out using the manual or various web sites.

I currently have a pool of several machines, of which only one has a particular piece of software installed.  I've already got it set up so that jobs that need this software -- call it SpecialSoft -- only run on the machine that provides it, so that's working great.  But, I'd also like jobs that don't require this software to stay off that particular machine unless it's the only one available.  I can't figure out how to do this.

Currently I've simplified my setup as part of bug testing.  Machine A has RANK = 1.0 in its local_config.  All others have it at the default of 0.  In my mind this should say that Machine A likes all jobs equally, and jobs should prefer to go to Machine A first, and then go to the others only when A fills up.  Is this correct?  My thought is to set the RANK on the special machine to be RANK = ((TARGET.SpecialSoft =?= True) * 100) - 5. So the rank will be 95 for jobs that need SpecialSoft and -5 for all others (are negative values even allowed?).  But, if I can't get the simple Rank = 1 vs Rank = 0 example to work then I'm stuck.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

-Colin Little

Fair Isaac Corp.