Re: [Condor-users] Dagman & Job Priorities

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:03:50PM -0800, Michael S. Root wrote:

> Hi everyone.  I've looked through the Condor documentation and mailing
> list archive for this, but haven't found what I'm looking for yet.
>
> The problem is this:  It is frequently the case for us that a single
> user is running multiple DAGman jobs.  The behavior we get is that all
> jobs from a user's dags get run concurrently (within the user's resource
> limits), such that the dags all finish at roughly the same time.  It is
> sometimes the case that a dag with just one job left will sit in the
> queue for hours waiting for other of the same user's dags (with more
> unfinished jobs) to 'catch up'.
>
> What we would like is to have all the jobs from the first dag submitted
> to finish first, then the second, etc...  Since the dags are not
> necessarily related in terms of what they're processing and usually
> aren't submitted at the same time, it doesn't make sense to have one dag
> depend on another.

Each DAGMan is meant to be stand-alone, and the condor_schedd does not
have any knowledge about internals of DAGMan, so implementing somthing
like this would be hard.

Your best bet is to put job priority in the submit files for the jobs
in your DAG - ie always make the later jobs in your DAG higher priority.

-Erik