RE: [Condor-users] When do machine RANK settings apply?

I'm not answering my own question here. I'm adding to it. See below...

> Do machine RANK settings apply before or after resources are
> partitioned based on effective priority? I'm not certain I
> completely understand a negotation cycle in condor. Lets say
> I have one free machine and a cycle starts. I have users with
> idle jobs that have user A with 2 idle jobs with job
> priorities 1 and 2. I have user B with 2 idle jobs with job
> priorities 3 and 4. User A has an EUP of 2.00 and user B has
> an EUP of 2.00. when the negotiation cycle starts, how will
> that one lone free machine be handled: how can I predict
> which user will get the machine?
>
> If the RANK on the machine was:
>
> RANK = TARGET.JobPrio * 1000
>
> Then should the machine not go to the job with the highest
> job priority value? I'm seeing it go to User A's job.

Sitting and thinking some more. If I have 100 vm's in my system. And 100
users, each with infinitly long queues of jobs. Over time will each
user's EUP move to 1? Will each user end up using exactly 1 machine in
the system as steady-state is reached? Have I understood this correctly?

If I artificially reset all RUPs to 0.50 every minute (basically cron a
call to "condor_userprio -resetall") -- would this get me to the
priority-based queueing utopia I desire? If everyone's EUP is always as
low as it can be, so all resources are equally likely to be assigned to
each user, will RANK statements not take over to decide which jobs take
up to a free machine? Am I way off here with my understanding of how
this works?

- Ian