RE: [Condor-users] Is VirtualMemory updated at intervals?

> and how much RAM is in your machines?  if they've all got
> plenty of ram, the job isn't going to touch swap space, and
> condor will happily keep reporting that all of your swap
> space is free, which it is.  we don't combine free-swap and
> free-ram into the VirtualMemory attribute.

The machines have 2GB of memory. This explains it. I'm used to Virtual
Memory being the combined physical plus allotted swap space for a
machine. That's how we define it in our in-house system that we're
replacing with Condor actually.

I'm actually trying to get around condor's division of resources and
assign my jobs based on total memory in the machine currently avaiable.
Occassionally I'll have jobs entering my system that will need all 2GB
of available memory in a machine, but only one of the two processors.
I'm looking for a way to auto-balance the mememory requirements between
jobs on a machine instead of having to divide the machine resources in
the config file. It would be a nice feature if Condor saw a job had an
ImageSize that could not currently be fufilled and could do something
about it automatically, like temporaritly disturbing a 50/50 resource
split on a machine that matches the job's requirements otherwise until
ImageSize < Memory. And then setting it back to the user-defined split
after the job ran.

I think at this point I may implement a watcher script that will do
something like this for me automatically and just run it as a cron job
from my central manager.

- Ian