Re: [Condor-users] What if execute node does not have user account?

My question is is it possible to execute jobs on an execute node without having to create accounts on all the computers? Like I said this is a simple research pool in my lab and only have 6 computer but still it is time consuming to administer.

As long as you don't have permission problems (like trying to access file that can only be accessed as yourself), it's fine.

Tell Condor that each computer is in its own UID_DOMAIN. If the submit computer has the same UID_DOMAIN as the execution computer, then it assumes that it should use the same user. If they are different, it runs the job as the nobody user (though you can configure it to use other users too).

For instance, in the CS department here in Madison, we set the UID_DOMAIN to be cs.wisc.edu because all of the computers have the same users. But if they didn't have the same users, we would set the UID_DOMAIN to $(FULL_HOSTNAME)--then each computer has a different UID_DOMAIN and it won't try to run as the same user.

There are some more details about UID_DOMAIN that are useful. Like you want it to look like a hostname within your DNS domain. Details are in the Condor manual:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.6/3_3Configuration.html#sec:Shared-Filesystem-Config-File-Entries

This is from the 6.6 manual, but it's the same in 6.7 (or 6.5 for that matter.)

-alain