I figured I would take a stab at installing and using Condor. I tried to install both 6.7.8 and 6.6.10 and had no luck with either.
The machines I tried to install this on are:
Windows 2003 sp1 Domain Controller (made it central manager)
WindowsXP sp2 (joined to existing pool)
I first tried to install 6.7.8. I realize it is a development release, but it seemed more feature complete. During installation I received 2 dialog box errors. Both had the title “Grepping” and the message was “Couldn’t find [COLLECTOR_NAME] in [condor_config.local]” and “Couldn’t find [DAEMON_LIST] in [condor_config.local]”. Installation continued normally after these 2 errors. I included my subnet to have read and write permission and used my FQDN for the admin field.
After install, I started the Condor service. The install docs said several services should start, depending on the rolls of the particular machine. Only the condor_master.exe was running. Restarting the Condor service would not start the collector process or any other process. Since I received errors about condor_config.local, I attempted to look at the file with notepad. The file seems to not be formatted properly. I needed to use wordwrap to see all of the contents and there were some symbols on every line (mixed with the actual words). I think it is a unix vs dos format problem. I also noticed in the condor_config file that the paths for every variable are using the wrong slash for the path and actually mixing slashes. Instead of c:\condor\bin, I see c:\condor/bin.
Installing on the WindowsXP went more smoothly. I installed this as a node on an existing pool. No errors popped up; however, I had the same problem with only the condor_master.exe running.
I eventually gave up on the devolopment version and tried the stable release (6.6.10). It installed fine on both computers; however, I had the same goofy path problem in my condor_config file but condor_config.local looked fine. Still, only the condor_master.exe service was running and the other processes, such as condor_collector would not start.
I’m going to try installing this on a Gentoo Linux box that I have and make it the central manager. Hopefully I will have better luck on Linux.