[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
RE: [Condor-users] Condor on Windows 2003 Server
- Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:44:48 -0500
- From: "John Alberts" <alberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: RE: [Condor-users] Condor on Windows 2003 Server
>> What do you mean by "didn't work"? It's hard to debug the problem without
>> seeing more information.
Your right. I didn't give more information because I sent 2 emails last
week to the list about my problems on Win2k3 and Gentoo Linux, but I didn't
get a single response on either one. So I figured I would just send a
general 'Does this thing work on Win2k3?' question. I pasted my Win2k3
email from last week below. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.
Technical Assistant for EMS
Purdue University Calumet
------From Last Week------
I figured I would take a stab at installing and using Condor. I tried to
install both 6.7.8 and 6.6.10 and had no luck with either.
The machines I tried to install this on are:
Windows 2003 sp1 Domain Controller (made it central manager)
WindowsXP sp2 (joined to existing pool)
I first tried to install 6.7.8. I realize it is a development release, but
it seemed more feature complete. During installation I received 2 dialog
box errors. Both had the title "Grepping" and the message was "Couldn't
find [COLLECTOR_NAME] in [condor_config.local]" and "Couldn't find
[DAEMON_LIST] in [condor_config.local]". Installation continued normally
after these 2 errors. I included my subnet to have read and write
permission and used my FQDN for the admin field.
After install, I started the Condor service. The install docs said several
services should start, depending on the rolls of the particular machine.
Only the condor_master.exe was running. Restarting the Condor service would
not start the collector process or any other process. Since I received
errors about condor_config.local, I attempted to look at the file with
notepad. The file seems to not be formatted properly. I needed to use
wordwrap to see all of the contents and there were some symbols on every
line (mixed with the actual words). I think it is a unix vs dos format
problem. I also noticed in the condor_config file that the paths for every
variable are using the wrong slash for the path and actually mixing slashes.
Instead of c:\condor\bin, I see c:\condor/bin.
Installing on the WindowsXP went more smoothly. I installed this as a node
on an existing pool. No errors popped up; however, I had the same problem
with only the condor_master.exe running.
I eventually gave up on the devolopment version and tried the stable release
(6.6.10). It installed fine on both computers; however, I had the same
goofy path problem in my condor_config file but condor_config.local looked
fine. Still, only the condor_master.exe service was running and the other
processes, such as condor_collector would not start.
I'm going to try installing this on a Gentoo Linux box that I have and make
it the central manager. Hopefully I will have better luck on Linux.