RE: [Condor-users] condor_startd wont run

>hi there! I'm having problems with my condor installation. Im running
>centOS 3, which is basically RHEL3, on a p4 machine. I configured the
>machine to be an execute machine and the installation went smoothly.

>Now when I run condor_master, I noticed that it was not starting the
>condor_startd daemon. When I run the daemon manually, it returned the ff
>error message:
>        gij: unrecognized option -- `-classpath'
>       Try `gij --help' for more information.

In general, if you have a problem starting the startd, the best place to
start debugging it is by looking at the StartLog on the execute machine
in question.  Running the startd by hand is a good idea, but sometimes,
there are differences in the "by hand" environment, and the one it is
booted from.  This can lead to confusion in debugging the real problem.
You may need to turn on D_FULLDEBUG to see enough log output.

However, in this case, it looks like you are on to a real problem:
When the startd initializes, it runs a small Java program to figure
out several attributes about Java to advertise.  It looks like java
is misconfigured on your machine.  If you run java -classpath . HelloWorld
do you still get the error about classpath?

If you don't want to run Java universe jobs, you can simply leave the
JAVA atttribute blank in your condor_config file.  Otherwise, you will
need to install a Java that understands the -classpath option and handles
it correctly.

-greg