Re: [Condor-users] Environment problems in submit files

Andrey,

There was a change in behavior between 6.6.x and 6.7.x with respect to environment settings when submitting between unix and windows. Basically, you always use the delimiter that is appropriate for the _submit_ node and Condor takes care of translating this to the appropriate syntax for the execute node when the job description is sent there. As part of the change, there was supposed to be introduced a mechanism for escaping delimiters, but this has not made it into a release yet. It was an oversight on my part to let the one change be released without providing the other capability. Sorry about that.

In the mean time, you might be able to take advantage of a new feature in 6.7.x (on the execute-node side) that allows you to configure the runtime environment of the job.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.7/3_3Configuration.html#10674

For example, you should be able to configure it like this in the config file that is read by your windows execute machines:

STARTER_JOB_ENVIRONMENT = path=c:\cygwin\bin;c:\windows;c:\windows\system32

--Dan

Andrey Kaliazin wrote:

Dear all,

We are using Windows XP computing farm with the Linux server and
some users also find it convenient to submit windows binaries
from the Linux box. And it used to work just fine until the Linux submit box

was upgraded from 6.6.8 to 6.7.7 version.
The problem emerged that the following line in submit file - very convenient

way to set up the job environment -

environment = path=c:\cygwin\bin;c:\windows;c:\windows\system32

- is no longer accepted. The semicolon (;) is treated as a field
separator character and is not escapable in any standard way I tried.

In the manual it is said indeed, that the (;) is a field separator
when submitting from UNIX boxes, while windows compute nodes require
semicolon as a path separator.

Is there any way to insert character (;) into environment variable
or to tell condor_submit which character to use as a field separator instead
of
semicolon?

regards

Andrey Kaliazin